La vie

"Later, much later...each harrowing ordeal will become an adventure. For some idiotic reason, your most horrific experiences are the stories you most love to tell." -Xavier, L'Auberge Espagnole

29 May 2006

Championne de l'Allier

Yesterday I raced on the track for the first time in 5 years. My choices were the 1500m or the 5000m. I decided I'd really get my butt kicked in the 1500 so I chose the 5000.

There were only three women entered so we ran it with the men. After having run the marathon just over a month ago, I'm not really back in shape yet, but I finished second in 20:37. I was lapped three times by the male winner!

The funniest part was that I was the only senior in the race and because this was the Championnat de l'Allier I was awarded a medal and the title of championne. So the woman who finished first was the espoir champion and the third woman was veterane champion.

One of my students was at the track meet with Montlucon Athletisme's ecole d'athletisme, the children's program in which they try out something like six track and field events. She was really excited to see me and introduced me to her friends.

I also made a few more friends, fustrating since I'm leaving in five weeks. One high school kid shamelessly used me for English practice for next month's bac exam, which turned into a good conversation.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    5,000 meters on a track....that's a lot of circles. You're time was good! Congratulations! Is the medal as big as the trophy from the marathon in Spain?

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you! Great time. That is fun to see students where you go. We are going to push Grandma to the Village Inn today. Wish us luck - it is very hot and humid (92). I love you tons and tons!!! I can't wait until we come to see you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home